By Tom Kaufmann, The Golf Course Real Estate Agent*
I love golf. I love the game. I love the companionship with family and friends. And, I love the golf courses. In fact, I live on a golf course and I help folks find homes in golf communities. Some of them are luxury homes and some are some are just comfortable suburban homes
While studies show that only 30% of the residents of a golf course development actually claim to play golf; even non-golfers can benefit by enjoying the views and amenities offered by a well-planned golf community.
Golf Community Advantages:
- Well-Manicured Landscaping – Unique incomparable views of rolling fairways and lush greens.
- Sense of Nature – Woods and spectacular water features, great animal and bird habitats.
- Access – Roll out of bed and play golf, or be the last on the course to practice …. play sunset golf. (Live where you Play!) With 300 days of sun, golf in Colorado is a year round event.
- Discounts – On memberships or fees.
- Value – Retains property value (see below).
- Planned Community – Covenant protection.
- Healthy -The mental and health benefits of golf itself, especially if you walk.
- Social – Benefits for both sharing a round and sharing a community, heightened sense of family.
- Business – Do not underestimate golf and ownership of a golf course property for great contacts and successful business deals.
Golf course communities offer many possibilities for non-golf amenities. These can often be more important than the golf course itself.
More than Luxury Real Estate:
- Special events and social gatherings
- Club house, Pro shops – lessons, Learn a new activity
- Banquet facilities and meeting rooms for parties, special events both social and business
- Swimming Pools
- Fitness Centers
- Access to hiking and bike paths
- Clubs – books, cards etc.
- Fishing and boating
Disadvantages of Country Club Living:
Not all options for Country Club living includes these disadvantages. But, these are things a good Realtor will explain on a case-by-case basis.
- Safety – Errant debris (golf balls)
- Noise Pollution – Equipment and golf chatter
- Environmental – However, many golf courses win awards for water conservation and use of organic chemicals.
- Golf course my be off-limits for non-golfing activities during golf hours
In 2007, a study by the Longitudes Group showed that home sites on golf courses have up to a 40% premium over standard home sites in the same community. The same study determined that golf course communities often held their value better than other similar properties. That being said, in the Denver Metro golf community, there are many price points, from affordable budget options to luxury golf course residential properties.
Next: What to look for in a golf property? Which courses to live on in Metro Denver?
I welcome your comments and opinions below! Or, contact me on this form:
*Mr. Kaufmann, an avid golfer, has lived for 23 years on the backside of a Denver municipal course and has spent the last decade living inside an inner-city Denver paradise – a Jack Nicholas Signature Designed Course and development. Like other properties, golf course properties are market driven, talk to an expert. Mr. Kaufmann works for Your Castle Services and specializes locating and selling golf course residential properties.